Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (5)

Re: Check this guy out...

Posted By: Barbara <bjmaitri@megalink.net>
Date: Tuesday, 13 January 2004, at 9:36 p.m.

In Response To: Re: Check this guy out... (Jim Powers)

it would be nice to see the yellowish one as you describe it...and perhaps that's what can be appealing about the adults...the photo in the magazine accompanying mike's article was rather dull looking of the adult. it is true that the yellow color is quite beautiful and one of the things i like about their coloration but also i do like the blue with it. : )

are yours with other loaches? mine are alone and finally i added two VERY SMALL mollie juveniles (barely above fry size) to become dithers or to try to establish a sense of security so the polka dots come out more....they are clearly not enough though.

sometimes they do come out and lounge but rarely and they also don't rush out to eat usually...although sometimes they do make an appearance fairly quickly.

when i did a major cleaning of the tank they came out and for a couple of days were very active but now they are settled in and stay put under the rock caves i made for them. : ( i'm thinking that i should add another few small mollies while they (the mollies) grow out; however, their diet is not so compatible but i have tried rosy barbs (4 juvenile males) as dithers and that didn't work at all....again, the polka dots just stayed hidden. i'm thinking that the mollies with their slower swimming will provide the sense of "security" that someone mentioned loaches wanting. otherwise these guys are hiders.

i think there is a question in there. LOL....about what might make them make more appearances....when i first got them, btw, they were in a 20G with one tiny rosy barb...tiny. and they'd come out and lounge on the rocks quite regularly. dunno what's happened....they've got bigger quarters now (40BR) but hide.

Messages In This Thread