Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Your way to worried!

Posted By: Drew
Date: Tuesday, 5 November 2002, at 2:55 a.m.

In Response To: Testing for Leaks (Mr Leadfoot)

I tested my 130gal in the garage, it doesnt have a bottom frame, since I replaced the bottom and resealed the damn thing!

I did have it on 1.5" thick sheet of what I'd call normal styrofoam.

It's current state is on a 3/4" peice of plywood which rests ontop of the stand which the tank sits on.

In all honesty, your WAY over concerning yourself about how to test it for leaks, get a piece of plywood or styrofoam ( 4x8x1" ) for dirt cheap from hardware store, sit it on that in the garage. Fill er up. dont worry about the 'slope'.

If the tank cant handle being on a slope I wouldnt trust it in my wall! The bond between silicone and glass is VERY strong. And a 75gal IMO isn't enough water/pressure to worry about.

To give u an idea of how strong glass and silicone are together.

My tank is 26" tall and the glass is only 3/8" thick. I dont know where some folks think 1/2" glass on a 125 is barely adequate. Guess some people are paranoid! lmao ... I think my tank is a All-glass aquarium from the early 90's. It's a far-out there guess but I've seen tanks like mine with same style top brace else where. Was a popular style tank back then I suppose? Then they went to the plastic braces ( they got smart ). I have two iron braces holding the top of my tank together.

OH, almost forgot, when i had my center glass brace break on the 130, the tank bowed out 2" ( I measured! ) .. it held like that for over 4 hours before I got home. I'm telling you, glass is pretty damn strong! So is silicone bonded with glass!!!!!! Your wayyyyy over concerning your self!

~D

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.