Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)


Posted By: greg <gregandeileen@juno.com>
Date: Saturday, 3 August 2002, at 9:41 p.m.

I guess I confuse easily. Some are saying "skinny" is caused by a gram pos bact that reacts nicely to Maracyn 1. Others are saying the "sheep wormer" works because the problem is cause by flukes or parasites.

I realize most parasites will cause a fish to "waste", the same way those stating a gram pos will. So the question is, is Skinny really caused by a parasite or bacteria?

How long from arrival in the tank does it take to see the first signs?

What are the signs, and roughly in what order (to death??)

Is Maracyn 1 the correct treatment, or is it "2", who some claim they "use in conjunction"? If only 1+2 work, which strain, pos or neg, is this stuff? It makes no sense BOTH should be used, bacterias have to be one or the other, the second med is a waste of money!

Is it recommended that salt be used, how about temp change?

Are people using the recommended dosage, or less for loaches?

How long does this stuff take to clear?

How contagious is it?

I have never seen this stuff, or had to deal with it. It sounds nasty. I would really like to know what it is and how to treat it.

Right now, we have one camp claiming it is caused by worms and should be treated with sheep-wormer. The other camp swears it is a gram-pos bacteria, but then states to also treat with Maracyn-2, which is for gram neg infections. This makes no sense.

I read all the packaging for Maracyn, and "1" is stated for internal infections and "pos", so this one would be my guess, but why throw away money for "2" for "neg"?

Sorry, not trying to step on any toes here or hurt feelings. I have a science/engineering background, and the inconsistencies here are making me nuts! These CANNOT all be right, so what is the truth?? If I ever have this in my tank I would like ti know how to treat it without "shot-gunning" the fish with meds. thanks-GREG

Messages In This Thread

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4) is maintained by Jeff Shafer with WebBBS 4.33.