Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (4)

Of Kuiper's Loaches and escargot

Posted By: robroy <robroy220@netscape.net>
Date: Sunday, 2 June 2002, at 5:26 p.m.

In Response To: Re: hey rafa (jeff)

Last weekend I bought six "gold banded loaches" which I believe are Kuiper's loaches ( Nemacheilus selangoricus) http://www.loaches.com/nemacheilus_selangoricus.shtml I put them in my small (20gal)unheated river tank, for now, as it was home to only three smithi and three white clouds. So far the Kuiper's loaches act quite a lot like BB describes in his article.

The tank is also home to numerous small snails that came in with some java moss and have multiplied. Not disputing you as I have only had my new loaches for about eight days but I have yet to see them eat any snails unless maybe they do it when Im not looking. They attack other food with gusto, for instance smelling dried tubiflex worms almost as soon as they hit the water and going into a feeding frenzy. They may eventually "discover" the snails.

Messages In This Thread