Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (3)

Re: Should I get clown loaches?

Posted By: Tibor <tibor@tiborsrealm.com>
Date: Sunday, 1 October 2000, at 10:01 a.m.

In Response To: Should I get clown loaches? (Kit)

Hi Kit,

Well, clowns are timid but they're fun ... depends on the hour for mine. If you sit back away from them in the evening or the morning they're very interesting whereas during the mid-day I sometimes expect a tumbleweed to roll down the tank.

Clowns take a while to grow; I purchased mine at 1.5-inches or so, and one has reached almost three (probably 2.5) in the ... four? five? months since I've had him. It's my understanding that they "shoot" up to four inches, then grow slowly thereafter. I can only image how slow it must be after four. I haven't gotten to experience this yet, though. I'll bet that five one-inch clowns in a 30 would be okay for at least a year if not longer, but don't take my word for it. And if you want to play it safe, you could do a threesome instead and add more later on down the road when you have another tank. :-)

Modestas are other cool botias, these with orange fins and blue/grey/black bodies. They reach full size in a year, but that's around six inches. Still a little bit much for a 30 I'd think. I suggest you run through the species index and look at the yo-yos and striped loaches; the latter always remind me of 70's fashion for some reason, and are very peaceful and don't grow very large I don't think. Someone else will have to tell if they're shy or not; I've never kept them.

Because they're bottom feeders, botias far prefer long tanks to tall ones; they have no use for a tall water column and just want more gravel to turn over. Also, clowns and weather loaches together are a no-no. Clowns should be kept at 78F or greater; dojos something like 74 or less. Sure you don't want to go the cold-water route and just have a few dojos? I hear they're very entertaining, and as such am keeping an eye out for them as well when I convert my 20 to a coldwater. One last thing is that clowns are somewhat sensitive to water quality. Definitely wouldn't want to cycle a tank with them in it unless you have an hour a night for water changes for the three months it'll take you to cycle it and still preserve them (I did this, don't recommend it, and my back agrees).

HTH

Tibor.

Messages In This Thread