Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Re: Iris - clown loaches & tubiflex worms ?

Posted By: Iris <Iris6@aol.com>
Date: Saturday, 10 June 2000, at 9:08 p.m.

In Response To: Iris - clown loaches & tubiflex worms ? (darian)

I've never heard of problems with live brine shrimp. I think since they are raised in salty water, that reduces the likelihood of infection since many parasites don't seem to like salt. I'm just guessing at this reason, though.

One feeding of tubifex is probably not going to cause any harm. If it does, it will take a while for symptoms to show up. Usually what you look for are a) wasting away (losing weight), b) loss of appetite, c) stringy white feces.

Since your fish are new, do not immediately panic if they don't eat. They may not eat much while they adjust to their new home. It doesn't mean they've caught anything. If they don't eat anything for a couple of weeks, that's when you worry.

Tubifex are a very controversial food. Feeding them to fish causes rapid growth, and most fish love them. But tubifex live in very polluted circumstances (even when you raise them yourself) and I simply don't think they are safe, despite their nutritive value.

If you want to feed tubifex to your fish, I recommend Hikari frozen tubifex - Hikari sterilizes all their frozen foods.

Iris

Messages In This Thread

Vie