Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (2)

Re: Sidthimunki and Nigrolineata barbel count

Posted By: Steve B <sdburton@hotmail.com>
Date: Tuesday, 8 February 2000, at 4:48 a.m.

In Response To: Sidthimunki and Nigrolineata barbel count (Dave Guest)

Dave,

My sid, for the few microseconds he actually kept still against a dark background where I could see him in profile without any of his mates getting in the way where I could see his barbels, apparently has 3 pairs of barbels. He was bought as a sid, and is 1.75"SL and has an 8 bar pattern (last bar is on the caudal peduncle and is broken - doesn't meet the lateral line). The lateral line is very nearly black, the bar pattern being not as black, more of a chocolate brown colour.

The barbels as far as I can make out are 2 pairs on the "top" lip, one pair on the bottom lip, and pointed backwards almost to the point where they seem to touch its bottom jaw. My sid is extremely similar to the sids captured in the photograph taken by Max Gibb on the sid page of the species index - follow the link below ...

Man, I wish I could lay my hands on a digital camera ....

Steve

LOL Sid link

Messages In This Thread