Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Re: A quarter inch? Size matters...........

Posted By: Martin Thoene <martin.thoene@lakenheath.af.mil>
Date: Monday, 30 August 1999, at 9:29 p.m.

In Response To: Re: A quarter inch? (Dr. Momfish)

I certainly wouldn't bother with that amount of level difference. When I was a kid, I lived in an old Victorian house with wooden floors that were anything but level. I think all my tanks were a bit off, but that was in the dark ages of steel-framed, putty-glazed fish boxes.

A quarter inch difference across the width of a tank might be more of a worry. On a 12" or 15" tank, that's a fair bit, and would tend to shift the centre of gravity of the tank and it's contents from the central point of the stand, making it inherantly less stable. If the lean is toward a wall, not so bad, but if it's away from the wall, then theoretically the tank trying to fall out into the room. When several hundred pounds of water is placed in a heavy glass box on top of an in comparison, lightweight stand the centre of gravity will be very high, making the structure as a whole inherantly unstable, so any deviation from perfect level is a bad thing. Tanks such as these, even if level are far safer if there is some form of attatchment to a strong wall fixing. This is especially important in houses with kids, or big dogs (eh Jane?) that might knock the tank, just giving it the little assistance it needs to topple. On a 2-tier stand, placing another heavy tank on the lower level automatically lowers the C of G and stabilises the whole.

I used a spirit level when I set up the River-tank to level the stand. I have wood-effect laminate flooring over concrete that appears level, but there were slight discrepancies. I made up small pads of three-sixteenth-inch thick MDF (Medium Density Fibreboard)to firstly protect the laminate floor, and secondly to shim the stand level. MDF is pretty hard, so takes the weight well.

Even when you measure with a level, it's suprising how you can still get a slight difference in water level, especially along the length of a tank. I find this annoying aeshetically, so use black plastic insulating tape along the top of the tank to disguise the water level. The bottom of the tape is just below the lowest point of water level.

This stuff's on the level!

But are you spiritually uplifted?

Martin.

Messages In This Thread