Welcome to the Loaches Online Forum Archives, full of historical information on loaches and other freshwater tropical aquarium fish from 1998 to 2005. You may want to use the Search Engine to find what you're looking for, or browse the other archives: (Archive 1) (Archive 2) (Archive 3) (Archive 4) (Archive 5) (Archive 6)

Don't forget to visit the new Loach Forum when you're finished!

View Thread | Return to Index | Read Prev Msg | Read Next Msg

The Loach Forum Archives (1)

Monsters? Naw....

Posted By: BB <nettech@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Tuesday, 6 April 1999, at 2:50 a.m.

In Response To: Big Clown Loaches (Dr. Momfish)

Here is a passage from the "Hobbyist Guide To Catfish and Loaches";

snip "A few months ago I received six clown loaches, Botia macracanthus, from a friend of mine. They had been maintained in a 320 liter (80 gallon) aquarium fo almost five years. The fish were very shy and were seen only once or twice a year when the tank was cleaned. Finally, my friend lost his patience with the fish and sent them to me. When I received them they were six to seven inches in total length. Two of them were very heavy-bodied" sound fimiliar? "while the other four were thinner but longer. I decided to house the fish in a 140 liter (35 gallon) tank where a pair of discus had spawned only a few weeks earlier." hum I wonder what the water was like ..discus hummmm "The tank was planted with three large Echinodorus from Brazil and there were many pieces of driftwood. The chemical makeup was as follows; pH=6.2, DH=2.0, and nitrate level less ththan 0.05. The water temperature was maintained between 29-30 degrees C (84-86 degrees F). An outside powerfilter was used and the filter media consisted of a comercial brand of aquarium peat and polyfilter fibre. As soon as the loaches were placed their tank, they disappeared into the plants and driftwood. The average observer would have thought the tank was uninhabited, Each evening I would prepare a mixture of Tetramin staple food, shreaded beefheart, spinach, and shrimp pellets. This was placed in the front of the tank before the lights were turned off for the night. The food was always gone by the following morning, but no fish were ever observed feeding. In time the tank gained the title "Ghost Tank." On one ocassion, I turned out the lights but a dim room light. In a few minutes, the loaches came out of hiding. They moved through the tank in groups of three searching for food. As soon as the main lights were switched on the fish were gone. They had vanished in an instant! One day I needed an unusually large plant so I decided to remove one from the "Ghost Tank". As I began to uproot the plant, a cloud of mulm rose into the water. It began to settle after a few seconds, and I was amazed to see 10 to 15 small fish scatter wildly about the tank. I dropped the plant immediately and began to search for the small fish. A close examination reveled very young clown loaches hiding deep in the crown and exposed roots of the two undesturbed plants. After seven weeks, I have found 39 young fish averaging 3/4 an inch in total lenght" The man who deserves the credit is Werner Nowak

Intresting isn't it:) BB

Messages In This Thread